Friday 31 July 2015

My adventure stories from Australia


I have always, since a young age, had a fear of death and for a long time that put me off doing many things. But after a close family member died way before their time, my fear turned into dying without having properly lived, having let opportunities sail me by. Since then, I've stopped saying no to things and instead saying maybe or yes.

Adventure stories from Australia

Back in 2009, I headed to Australia on a holiday visa for three months with two aims: visiting as much as I possibly could and being more adventurous. You might not see these as an adventure, but for me they certainly were!

Diving

My first attempt at diving in Cairns did no go so well... a newbie diver diving in open water is not the best idea. I sat through the safety demonstration, got all the diving gear on and got into the water. With the safety checks all done, I was ready to go. The instructor started deflating the buoyancy, I looked below me at the vast ocean and panicked. So I got back out of the water and went snorkelling instead. I might not have succeeded but at least I tried.


By the time I got to Airlie Beach, I was determined I was going to dive. I could not come all the way to Australia and not see the Great Barrier Reef. The way the dive was carried out was much better for newbies like me. From our boat we climbed into a dinghy boat which took us to a shallow bit where we could stand. It was much easier to be in control here and I managed to do the dive. Not only that but during the course of our 3 day boat trip, I even did 3 more dives..... from the open water. Go me! My dream of seeing a turtle was accomplished!


 

Diving at Whitsundays

Boat recommended: http://www.summertime-whitsundays.com/


Jungle surfing

At Cape Tribulation, in the heart of the rainforest, stand 6 tree stations of varying heights. All that awaits is for you to hold on tight and embrace the thrill. With my upcoming skydive, this did not really faze me. The fact that you stop at stations makes it easier to get through. Not only do you get a huge rush of adrenaline, you also get wonderful views of the forest and where it meets the Reef. I loved this activity and now wouldn't think twice of doing it in other locations.



 
 
Here is the link if you are interested: http://junglesurfing.com.au/. 
 
If you are going to overcome fears, Australia is the place for it. The best tip I can give is to start off small and build your way up to the more challenging activities. In this way, you will certainly build on your confidence.  I did far too many thrilling activities to mention in one post so look out for part 2 soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment