Thursday 19 March 2015

My 10 Favourite destinations: number 3

I haven't had much time to post on my blog this week and I have really missed sitting down thinking about my travels and what little nuggets of information to share. For those who have followed for a while, that's us at number 3 already.  I'll give you a few hints:

- It's warm in summer and very cold in winter
- It is very expensive
- It has an Ice bar
- It has a modern Opera House

Yep you guessed it, it's Oslo!





Why Oslo?

I absolutely loved Oslo, there aren't even enough words to describe why but I'll give it a try. The first impression you get when you arrive is one of efficiency. Transport runs smoothly, streets are clean and people are friendly and helpful. Next, you pick up on the happy vibes all around you. As soon as my friends and I stepped foot in a bar, people began chatting to us (probably having easily spotted we weren't scandinavian). The one thing I found bizarre is that there is no sense of personal space or privacy. People will come up to you mid conversation, sit on the couch next to you without asking and steal chips off your McDonalds tray. All these things happened the first night we were there! But you come to realise that Norwegians are quite an open people and there is nothing more appealing than that. As you will see below, you will not be bored in Oslo and it caters for all tastes.

What to do in Oslo

- Take a boat trip. There are several you can get from Radhusbrygge. They typically take one hour and take you on a loop around different islands. Norwegians sure do love their swimming and on a sunny day you will see them out on their boats around the islands. Also a sense of peace engulfs you as you pass by typical holiday houses and see families frolicking around. Check out these cute bathing houses with steps leading to the water. We got told that these are for the mansions situated all over the islands.

 
- Visit the Nobel Peace Center and read inspiring stories about people who change the world for the better. I doubt anyone leaves without thinking what mark they have left upon the world.

- Oslo is the city of museums. It has a wide variety of them dotted all around the city. Despite not being a museum lover I found myself in 4 during my short stay there: the Viking Museum, the Fram, the Munch museum and the Norwegian Folk Museum. I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed them all and would recommend seeing them. We had an Oslo Pass so got free entry into all, it was very worthwhile. The photo above is of the views from the Fram and Viking museums. The only disadvantage is you have to get a boat there.

- A trip to Vigelandsparken Park is definitely an eye-opener and worthwhile experience! See below for yourself:

















- A visit to the ultra-modern and swanky Opera House is a must. You can walk up to the top of it and see wonderful views of Oslo.

 

- Take a day trip to Holmenkollen which is situated about 30 minutes from Oslo. You will be amazed when you see the ski jump and you can take a lift to the top of it to see what it is like standing at the edge. The day we went was a lovely summers day in Oslo. By the time we arrived there we thought we were back in Scotland as it was really misty and you could hardly see in front of you!




There are so many wonderful things to do in Oslo, you really need to spend a few days there to be able to experience it all. Summer is definitely the time to go as there are good festivals and events on such as Skeive Dager. We had a quick look around Skeive Dager and it had an electric atmosphere. A couple of days after we went the Oslo tragedy happened and it was heart-breaking to think that it could happen in such a wonderful peaceful place. If you visit Oslo I hope you will love it as much as I did, I definitely recommend it!


Nikki




No comments:

Post a Comment