Tuesday 3 February 2015

A flawed perspective perhaps?

Giving to others who are less fortunate is fundamental to me. I'm that person who cannot walk past someone raising money for charity or signing you up for donations. They can always see me coming and must be delighted when they see me sign my name on the dotted line. Before I get to the point of my post, I have to say that I am not trying to encourage people to not donate to charity. I think it's great that there are so many different ways to give to charity. But I have realised that for me, the way I have went about giving money to charity is flawed. Lately I've felt like I've been in my own little bubble worrying about things that are trivial and felt like I need to do more to try and make the world a better place.

This past year I've donated money for many causes such as Band Aid 30, Ice bucket challenge, people doing races and challenges to raise money. And up until now I've never really thought that much about it.

Today, I was listening to the Radio 1 DJs promoting Comic Relief by talking to local Ugandans about how bad their hospitals are, how much they would benefit from better services etc.  What really bugged me today was thinking of why (and I fully include myself in this) wait until a charity drive like this comes along to raise money for basic services like education and health care? Are we unaware of the millions dying of illnesses that could be easily cured? Are we unaware that they lack basic human rights? Do we need to see footage of celebrities in hospitals and schools crying their eyes out before we click donate? The BBC provide a night of entertainment and comedy in exchange for as many donations as possible, can we not donate simply because it's the right thing to do? What they fail to point out is, all the viewers they amass during their 7 hour telethon!

Whenever I've discussed charity with people before, I often get the same answer: charity starts at home. Does this mean home as in the UK or home as in your own house? I am never sure but both answers disgust me. If we can afford to donate after doing an ice bucket challenge, we can afford to donate without doing a stupid challenge. And I did said stupid challenge and donated too! At the time, some of my colleagues at work refused to do it and I couldn't comprehend why. From their point of view, they already donate money to causes close to their heart and happily did so without "entertainment". At the time I honestly didn't get it but now I completely do.




I maybe sound over critical or judgemental, maybe this is only my experience. I am definitely pro-charity but in 2015 I'm going to stop donating money because I am asked to and donate instead because I want to and to what causes I feel are most important to me. Today I've been pondering whether I should become a volunteer for a charity in my free time, this is the year where I aim to help others more in whatever ways I can.

Whether you agree with me or disagree, I feel it's always good to discuss issues close to your heart so let me know!

Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment